Philippine Birds

This forum is in dedication to bird lovers of the Philippines. Anyone is invited if interested in Bird watching, aviculture and such.

HomeFAQRegisterLog in

Share | 

Colasisi or Philippine Hanging Parrot

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 75
Registration date : 2008-08-09

PostSubject: Colasisi or Philippine Hanging Parrot   Mon Sep 01, 2008 5:28 am

Today, I chanced upon 4 juvenile colasis (loriculus Philippensis). I was moved by their pitiful situation. I wanted to do something about it. So I bought two. The stupid vendors pretended that they could sex the juveniles. But it was obvious that they were just guessing.

I did a little research about them and here is what I found out.

FOOD: Fruits and Veggies... Seeds as a daily diet are no-nos. According to some people who kept them, seeds shorten their lives. Crop damage.

DRINK: yes, they need nectar as they're nectar feeding birds as shown by their brush like tongue. I temporarily give them water with sugar or should i say : H20 with C6H1206.

HOUSING: They need big space. That is one of the reasons why I just HAD to get them, they were cramped up in a coffin *ahem* cage too small for them. They fight a lot if they are in small places since they are territorial.

Unfortunately I have not been able to have a larger cage. I do have a plan to have an aviary made for myself so I can raise Normal IRNs. Very Happy For the meantime, I shall observe them. Pics to follow.

and by the way... I need name suggestions and make them unisex names.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://philbirds.topdiscussion.com
raven
Fledgling
Fledgling

Number of posts : 71

PostSubject: Re: Colasisi or Philippine Hanging Parrot   Tue Sep 02, 2008 9:58 am

wow, it was a good decision, atleast mabibigyan mo sila ng mgandang habitat kesa kung magtatagal pa sila sa vendor na yoon for sure slight lang ung chance of survival nila.. anyway good luck on your research..
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Colasisi or Philippine Hanging Parrot   Wed Sep 03, 2008 3:36 am

here are the pics I promised. These were right after I bought them. They are obviously stressed, but now they are much better.

Back to top Go down
Pugak
Fledgling
Fledgling

Number of posts : 46

PostSubject: Re: Colasisi or Philippine Hanging Parrot   Thu Sep 04, 2008 3:19 am

wat happened to der tails?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Colasisi or Philippine Hanging Parrot   Thu Sep 04, 2008 3:26 am

their naturally short
Back to top Go down
raven
Fledgling
Fledgling

PostSubject: Re: Colasisi or Philippine Hanging Parrot   Thu Sep 04, 2008 10:13 am

yup, a bit short for a parrot hehehe anyway they are a bit too young probably a day or more in those poucher they wont survive for long..... they were lucky you got them in time... Smile
Back to top Go down
View user profile
chinue
Egg
Egg

Number of posts : 10
Registration date : 2008-10-02

PostSubject: Re: Colasisi or Philippine Hanging Parrot   Wed Oct 22, 2008 3:20 am

PHYSICAL CHARACTERISTICS

5.5 in (14 cm); 1.1–1.4 oz (32–40 g). Polytypic species with geographical variation in head patterns and colors of soft parts.

This hanging parrot averages 14cm (5.5 in) in length. It's mainly green with a blue throat, face and thighs. The crown and tail is red. Males and females look identical, although hens usually have less blue on the cheeks. The bill orange and the eyes grey/brown.

Juveniles loo like adult hens, but with only a slight tinge of blue to their cheeks and the red on the forehead is minimal or may be absent. They also have paler bills.

DISTRIBUTION

L. p. philippensis: Luzon and adjacent islands, Philippines. L. p. mindorensis: Mindoro, Philippines. L. p. regulus: Tablas, Ticao, Masbate, Panay, Guimaras, Negros, and probably Romblon, Philippines. L. p. chrysonotus: Cebu, Philippines. L. p. siquijorensis: Siquijor, Philippines. L. p. apicalis: Mindanao and adjacent islands, Philippines. L. p. dohertyi: Basilan, Philippines. L. p. bonapartei: Sulu Archipelago, Philippines.

HABITAT

Lowlands and foothills. Primarily lowland forest, but occurs in most wooded habitats, including secondary growth, high bushes, plantations, orchards, and remnant woodlots in cultivation.

BEHAVIOR

Resident; local wandering for food. Singly, in pairs, or infrequently in small flocks feeding in middle-to-upper stages of forest or in flowering bushes; difficult to detect amidst foliage, but constant calling betrays presence; associates with other fruit-eating birds in mixed foraging assemblages; shy when disturbed in forest, but bold when feeding in flowering coconut palms; swift flight characteristically undulating.

FEEDING ECOLOGY AND DIET

Fine, protruding bill and "brush-tipped" tongue used to gather nectar and pollen from flowers; also feeds on soft fruits and seeds; takes fermenting coconut nectar harvested by villagers, sometimes becoming intoxicated.

REPRODUCTIVE BIOLOGY

Little known; breeding recorded March–May; nest in hole in dead tree at 39 ft (12 m) height. In captivity, clutch of three eggs incubated by female for 20 days; chicks left nest approximately five weeks after hatching.

CONSERVATION STATUS

Common throughout parts of range, but four subspecies (mindorensis, bournsi, regulus, and dohertyi), with combined population estimated in 1990s at probably less than 5,000, threatened by deforestation and capture for live-bird market; another two subspecies (chrysonotus and siquijorensis) almost extinct because of habitat loss. Listed on CITES Appendix II.

SIGNIFICANCE TO HUMANS

Very popular cagebird; commonly traded between islands.Description:
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Colasisi or Philippine Hanging Parrot   Wed Oct 22, 2008 6:33 am

I know that the information up there says seeds, but after inquiring from different owners about their Kusi, they all informed me that seeds is not a good diet for your kusi.
Back to top Go down
chinue
Egg
Egg

Number of posts : 10
Registration date : 2008-10-02

PostSubject: Re: Colasisi or Philippine Hanging Parrot   Wed Oct 22, 2008 5:31 pm

yup bro, wla jud nko gi feed ug seeds ky advice mn nmo.. hehehe..
ligaw kaau, dako kaau kaon.. bilis ma ubos ang papaya...hehehe
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Colasisi or Philippine Hanging Parrot   Wed Oct 22, 2008 6:51 pm

chinue wrote:
yup bro, wla jud nko gi feed ug seeds ky advice mn nmo.. hehehe..
ligaw kaau, dako kaau kaon.. bilis ma ubos ang papaya...hehehe

Mabuti, but mas mabuti if pakainin mo naman sila ng mga Veggies. At rotation mo naman yung fruits, hindi lang laging papaya pinapakain mo sa kanila.
Back to top Go down
leslhanl
Egg
Egg

Number of posts : 2
Registration date : 2008-11-24

PostSubject: Re: Colasisi or Philippine Hanging Parrot   Mon Nov 24, 2008 5:41 pm

meron din ako nito kakabili ko lang nung linggo..i have done nectar feeding..1/4 cup sugar..1cup water boiled it up to 2 minutes..feed them with banana and papaya..they are not seed eater..kawawa naman kase dun sa mga vendor eh...di ba bawal ito hulihin..pag malakas na sila maybe i could let them go again sa wild.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Colasisi or Philippine Hanging Parrot   Mon Nov 24, 2008 6:28 pm

Bad news, namatay yung Colasisi ko. Sad Due to unexpected weather fluctuations.
Back to top Go down
leslhanl
Egg
Egg

Number of posts : 2
Registration date : 2008-11-24

PostSubject: Re: Colasisi or Philippine Hanging Parrot   Mon Nov 24, 2008 7:22 pm

namatay? anu pinakain mo brother?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Colasisi or Philippine Hanging Parrot   Tue Nov 25, 2008 3:25 pm

leslhanl wrote:

fruits. And some nectar. Anyway, lagi kase nag-iba yung weather dito. Kaya nga pag rainy day, huwag ilagay sa labas Sad
Back to top Go down
raven
Fledgling
Fledgling

PostSubject: Re: Colasisi or Philippine Hanging Parrot   Fri Dec 05, 2008 6:59 am

Admin wrote:
leslhanl wrote:

fruits. And some nectar. Anyway, lagi kase nag-iba yung weather dito. Kaya nga pag rainy day, huwag ilagay sa labas Sad

actually all local species ng parrot natin eh mahina sa biglaan palit ng weather kaya nga dapat hinay hinay lang sa pagiintroduce ng young ones sa crazy weather natin.... anyway condolence bro....
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Colasisi or Philippine Hanging Parrot   Fri Dec 05, 2008 6:09 pm

raven wrote:
Admin wrote:
leslhanl wrote:

actually all local species ng parrot natin eh mahina sa biglaan palit ng weather kaya nga dapat hinay hinay lang sa pagiintroduce ng young ones sa crazy weather natin.... anyway condolence bro....

thanks Raven, hahayz, It was really sad, kaw? how are your birds doing na?
Back to top Go down
cackler
Egg
Egg

Number of posts : 4
Registration date : 2011-03-13

PostSubject: Re: Colasisi or Philippine Hanging Parrot   Sun Mar 13, 2011 6:07 am

Just banana . . . saba. Avoid metal cages as they nibble on the metal.

Male is harder to come by. They are more colorful.

Don't mix with Africans lovebirds. The colasisi will be killed.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Colasisi or Philippine Hanging Parrot   

Back to top Go down

Colasisi or Philippine Hanging Parrot
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1